There are many ways to drive traffic and sales to their website or e-commerce. The first thing that comes to mind is perhaps social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, LinkedIn and Youtube. But above all search engines like Google and Bing.
Another digital platform that is suitable for advertising, which is not yet so popular in Sweden (I live in Sweden), is Pinterest. This platform is a very efficient source of traffic with many users and with a strong target group.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a visual search engine, where you as a user can find images that primarily inspire. It’s like flipping through a magazine where you can find everything from interior design, fashion to recipes and cooking.
Everything is very well organized on Pinterest, there are clear themes and you have the opportunity to create your own bulletin boards to easily categorize your inspirational images.
Pinterest works like a regular search engine such as Google, but is much more fun and above all more inspiring to look at. This makes Pinterest an ultimate source of traffic, as the user comes here to be actively inspired.
But how is Pinterest different from other social media? As we have mentioned before, Pinterest is more like a search engine where people mainly go in to find and above all save inspirational Pins (pictures) for their message boards.
Since interior design is a very popular part of Pinterest, a user can, for example, search for “Green carpet” and then get several examples of this. Then it is an ultimate opportunity for you as an advertiser to be seen with ads in that particular category.
Other social media such as Instagram is more of a forum for entertainment where you create content and share it with others, while Pinterest is a platform where you actively look for content.
Some numbers and Pinterest
- Pinterest has about 1.36 million users on the site every day.
- The average viewer spends about 15.8 minutes / day on the site. It is longer than what you spend on Facebook and Twitter. And as long as you stay on YouTube.
- 50% of those who Pin have children.
- 80% of the users are women.
- Most pictures are repins. Ie images that are already inside the network. The rest is uploaded using Pinmarklet (get to it later) or from a user’s computer or phone.
- The largest age group between 25–34 years is 27.4%. And the age group 25-55 is as high as 66%.
- Incoming traffic from Pinterest to your site is greater than both Youtube, Google+ and LinkedIn combined.
- You can Pin videos.
- The five largest companies are American. It might be interesting to see how they use Pinterest.
How does it work?
When you log in to Pinterest, you will be greeted by a huge flow of images. These are images that users on Pinterest once uploaded. And that now flows into subordinates in categories like Pinterest predetermined.
Each of these images can:
(Repinning a picture involves taking the picture and posting it on one of your bulletin boards. And it will be displayed to the people who follow you.)
When you create an account
So the first thing you do when you log in as a new user, is to create yourself a number of message boards.
You will get some suggestions on topics to collect (the most popular) from Pinterest, but it is very easy to rename them to suit your business.
You then choose an overall category on your board, currently there are 33 different categories to choose from.
Do this. It gives you better visibility when users search for new images. Because it is under that category that your images will flow as they are pinned and repinned.
Since a while back, you also have the opportunity to determine the draw pattern for each board. It is important. See it as the cover of a book or a newspaper. It should attract new followers and reflect the content of your board well.
As a follower, you can choose to either follow an entire account, and then also all the boards that account has.
If that account makes new boards, you will automatically follow these. Or you can choose to only follow certain boards, those that interest you.
My tip is to go in and click “follow” on an account. Then click out of the boards that do not interest you. In this way, you will automatically follow the new boards that the user creates. Something that is missed if you only follow a few boards.
Do not forget to fill in your cinema properly, and this sounds like a matter of course. But embarrassingly many companies neglect to talk about what they do. “This is Company X’s official site” is not a good movie. Not just a URL either. Although it is slightly better than those who do not enter a web address at all.
See your Pinterest account as a storefront. You want people to be curious about your business and click on to your website / blog / e-commerce or wherever you now want them to end up.
When you then find pictures in the feed that you like and want to upload to one of your boards, you simply click on it.
In addition to the fact that you can write comments to the person who previously pinned the picture (it is after all a social network and the really big pegs can have long discussions during their pictures) you have the opportunity to share the picture directly to Twitter and Facebook.
When you first create your account, you will be asked if you want to connect your Pinterest account with your Facebook and Twitter. Do it. This allows your friends to see what you’ve sticking to even outside of Pinterest.
And you get another spread of images outside the network. In addition, the pictures you stick will appear in your friends’ “ticker” on Facebook, and they can see what you stick even if they are not part of the network.
Then choose which board you want to put your picture on. Tag it with the words you want to be searchable.
There is a really good search function on Pinterest. I use it when I want to find new pictures. If the image is already tagged, leave those tags and in that case add your own tags if you think it is needed.
Pin. And then it’s done. Your image will end up with you and will be displayed to your followers in their feed.
In addition, it will again fall into the flow under the category to which you have decided that your board will belong. It’s not harder than that.
Next thing you should do is install Pinmarklet to your browser. Pinmarklet is a tool that allows you to pin any image you want from any page you want on the web and post it on any of your boards on Pinterest.
Two strengths with it.
- You add photos to Pinterest. Either your own and or others’. And your pinning will be much more fun. Now you have the whole web to start from. But there is a copyright issue to consider. Pinterest has in fact disclaimed all responsibility regarding copyright and lawsuits. And it is you as an individual sticker, who is responsible for ensuring that the image you stick is ok.
- And when you Pin with the help of Pinmarklet, the url is automatically embedded in the image, creating a link between your page and Pinterest. So that when someone clicks on your image inside Pinterest, the person is then locked back to the page the image is pinned from. And this is what you want. To drive traffic to their site / business. That you also create a link between your two platforms is a fantastic bonus. For links are good and weigh heavily. And who likes links? Well, Google, when you search.
So why should you as a company be on Pinterest?
Since Pinterest is still a relatively young network, this is where you will find many early adopters. Especially in fashion, design and goods.
There you can find your influences, and there you can be involved and be seen and also get your brand spread among those who influence others.
And if you are in early and do a good job, you can also become an influence and influence others in your industry.
It’s all about long-term brand building. Pinterest gives you an opportunity to showcase your brand and your business in a new way. By visually telling what you are good at.
- Through pins, you can drive traffic to your website.
- Showcase products or services. What are you good at? What do you sell?
- Use Pinterest as a portfolio. Show what you have done before. What is your product portfolio?
- Create greater exposure and awareness around your brand
- Share inspiring images with other users. What inspires you as a company? What role models do you have? What do you think of?
- Tell the story of your company with pictures. See each pinned image as the cover of a newspaper. You want your readers to be interested and passed on to your site/business.
How to get visitors from Pinterest to your blog
1. Create a Pinterest account for your blog
A serious blog should of course have a Pinterest account! Whether you use your own private Pinterest account or creating a business account for your blog matters less.
The main thing is that you are there and can start spreading your material, socializing with your readers and taking part in all the inspiration that is on Pinterest.
2. Add Pinterest widget to your blog
There are lots of widgets and buttons that show that you are on Pinterest that you can place on your blog. Of course, you should show your visitors that you are on Pinterest.
It helps you build the number that follows you on Pinterest. It is also reasonable to believe that those who are already loyal visitors to your blog will be more willing to share material from your blog on Pinterest.
3. Have a Pinterest Save button on your photos
Making it easy for your visitors to spontaneously pin a nice picture or article is a must. Encourage your visitors to pin by adding a Save button to all your photos. If you have WordPress, there are several plugins that have this feature.
4. Create unique content that you Pin
80% of all pins made are repins of something else pinned. If you are only busy repinning other people’s stuff, you will never create a stream of visitors to your blog. Good content is inevitably an extremely important element in all platforms where you want others to spread your material.
On Pinterest, the visuals get a lot of space, so make sure every blog post you make has an appealing image!
5. Create tutorials and guides
Pins that have to do with guides or tutorials that answer various questions have on average 43% more people who click on them. It is therefore good to create guides that answer questions that many have.
This blog post is a good example of a tutorial on how to drive traffic from Pinterest to your blog. This in combination with a good image means that the post has good conditions to be spread on Pinterest.
Examples of good blog posts that could be shared extensively on Pinterest are “25 ways to be the best on Pinterest” or “How to be the most popular on Pinterest”. It attracts readers to click on to your blog.
6. Take advantage of trends and holidays to your advantage
Taking advantage of trends and holidays to get visitors from Pinterest to your blog is a trick that many have successfully used. Right now, when many people cook at home, cooking and cooking hacks are popular. Take advantage of the trends to your advantage!
Pins that touch a topic that is popular at the moment are more likely to be repinned. An example is Barneys in New York, which just in time for Halloween published a Halloween special with lots of ways to dress up.
7. Be active on Pinterest
People who succeed well with social media marketing are usually very active users. So it is on Pinterest. Therefore, it is important that you are logged in and involved on Pinterest by, for example:
- Share interesting material regularly
- Follow people with similar interests as you (this increases the chance that they will follow you back)
- Answer questions and comments that your followers may have
- Communicate with the best and coolest in your area by liking and commenting on their pins
8. Call for action
On Pinterest, it is important to call for action. You can do this by including action words such as “Click here” or “share this”. It works better than you think!
9. Post your pins at the right time
Depending on the geographical target group of your pins, different times of the day can be advantageous to pin on. Test yourself and see when your pins have the biggest impact!
5 quick tips and recaps on how to succeed with your Pinning
- Follow smart. And follow many. Your followers are your best friends. They are the ones who spread your brand.
- Use hashtags. Remember that everything is searchable. Find words that are trending and use them. Then you will be seen.
- Do not stick everything. Stick to what is relevant to your target audience. What do they want to see. What do you want them to see.
- Link your own photos correctly. Use the Pinmarklet. If you upload from your computer / phone, make sure that you enter the url where you want your viewer to end up if they click on your image. Create links. Links weigh heavily and a new link is created for each repin of your image. Fantastic right.
- Make sure you have nice pictures. Nobody wants ugly pictures in their feed. Should you pin, then make sure that your images are of high quality.
Keep in mind that you can pin on most mobile devices. Perfect when you are stuck in traffic in the morning on the way to work. Or when you sit and watch TV in the evening.
Or just when you are stuck at work and feel that inspiration is running out. Out on Pinterest. Watch the flow. Pin some pictures. And you will see that the inspiration comes back again.
In summary, Pinterest is an incredibly good platform to showcase your products and get traffic on. Probably one of the best platforms in my opinion.
If you want to delve further into the subject then check out this video on Youtube about how to get traffic using pinterest:
Disclaimer: Trust me on this one, I have been following Income school for quite some time and they have taught me almost everything I know about blogging and getting traffic.
(They where also the inspiration for making this article)
They put out great content that I belive in.
Hope I have been helpful, thanks and bye 😉